Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 14, 2011

Tsunami in Japan, March 2011


Did you know that the word “tsunami”, which is now being used worldwide, is a Japanese word?  This is indicative of the extent to which Japan has been subject to frequent tsunami disasters in the past.  These words from Junichiro Koizumi, Prime Minister of Japan from 2001 – 2006, reflect an eerie presentiment to what has just happened in Japan since the early hours of March 11, 2011.

Watching and listening to the tragic news is overwhelming, heartbreaking and numbing.  I feel it deep in my chest and there is no way to reduce the anxiety.

The tragedy in Japan is vast, crushing, worsening and horrific.  I can scarcely wrap my mind around what has occurred.  I have a friend whose children and grandchildren live and work in Japan.  I don’t know how they are or even if they are still alive.  I hope they are and that they will survive this catastrophe, this devastation, this disaster.

My heart aches for them and for my friend.   I hold them in light and in love.


This photo is from Reuters.  The wave from a tsunami crashes over a street in Miyako City, Japan.

No comments: