Powered By Blogger

Friday, January 27, 2012

Head Cold Whining



“The best way to take care of yourself is to care for your Self.”  This quote is from the back cover of a book I’m reading, Self-Care for Life.

I believe this. 

All month I’ve read daily suggestions about self-care and have improved my own self-care routines.  However, this seems odd and a tad useless given that I’ve had two colds during that time.

I was miserable with my first cold which lasted for two weeks.  I became better; well again for a solid week.  This new cold began Monday past and is worse than the first one. 

My eyes feel like someone inside my head is pushing on them.  My face aches from sinus pressure.  My ears and throat are sore.  Coughing, sneezing, runny everything—you get the picture.  I’m a mess!

I’m frustrated, cranky and feeling sorry for myself.  Today, this cold prevents me from attending a pot-luck party I’ve been anticipating for weeks.  Really annoying, missing friends, food and fun!

I am at a loss about how to help myself get well.  I’ve tried lots of rest, combined with over-the-counter cold and flu remedies. I’ve stayed at home this week, gone out for essentials only, plus one class I couldn’t bear to miss.  If you've read my blog entry for January 9, 2012, you’ll remember the stack of cold remedies in the first photo.  I've managed to go through all of those "cures."

Following home remedies to care for my cold, I’ve consumed hot lemon drinks, hot ginger drinks, and herbal teas and fruit juices.  I’ve sipped chicken soups, eaten heaps of fruits and vegetables and gargled with/inhaled salted warm water.

I’m sick and tired of feeling sick and tired.  I know that colds take time to run their course, but I am weary of a box of tissues as my best friend.

Any suggestions?

The photo is mine.  If you click on words printed in color, you will be taken to another website with additional information.

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

Oh that doesn't sound good, one cold is bad enough but two so close together is awful! Hope you feel better soon

Carol Steel said...

Thanks for your good wishes. I'm on-the-mend!