Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 18, 2012

Gardens in August


In the past week, the days and nights have been humid, sticky, with threats of rain.  No rain comes, just misty moments or tiny showers, nothing that will nourish the grass, trees and plants.  It's dry.


Our garden is parched and brown; nothing exciting or colorful is growing here.  But just down the road in my sister's and brother-in-law's gardens, flowers are blooming.  Look at their lilies.



Their vegetable patch is flourishing; beets, beans, Swiss chard and cucumbers are all doing well.



Their hydrangea is blue and healthy, blooming with enthusiasm.  Micro-climates within a local area amaze me.  How is it one yard can do so well and another, not so far away, does not?  I suppose it has to do with the soil's composition and perhaps...with the gardener.  Possibly, they're simply better at gardening than I am.



Whatever the reason for the differences, I am grateful they allow me to capture photos and to enjoy their lush flowers and thriving gardens.

I love to be near their flowers.

All photos are mine and were taken after a flash shower.   
All flowers belong to my sister and brother-in-law.

6 comments:

Laurie Kolp said...

These are absolutely stunning photos... it's hard to believe there is such a contrast between your yards when they are so close. Mine sounds like yours.

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a lovely garden, those lilies in particular are beautiful!

Carol Steel said...

Hi Laurie,
I am envious of their garden but they work so hard at it; they deserve every bit of beauty they have. I'm just thankful they allow me to photograph their place.

Carol Steel said...

Hi CGP,

Yes, their lilies are stunning this year. Even more so in reality.

Gwen Buchanan said...

The fragrance of lilies is pure summer... and I await them every year with anticipation. and now they are open in their full beauty.

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Gwen. You are right...it is lily time, generous splendour.