Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, August 7, 2012

Sympathy



Sympathy

Sometime make the time to drink a vintage port.
Anchor yourself in a chair on your deck
and pitch conversation,
over tiny crackers, Stilton cheese,
and walnuts in a bowl.
Fill your glass.
Navigate
the marrow of memory
to a place where it links
to your store
of stories.
Fill your glass.
Sink your teeth deep
into dark chocolate.
Perhaps,
a slice of Bosc pear with brie?
Fill your glass.
Tell the tales.
Tumble tears.
(Reminisce ‘til only
the deck rail
can help you
to stand.)
Fill your glass.
Soak
from your heart,
the stern shards
of loss.

And you’ll see, my friend,
vintage port
makes for a most comforting wake.
Ah yes, fill your glass.

This poem is for the Sunday Whirl, Weekly Wordle # 68.  The instructions are to create a poem using the following 12 words:  port, marrow, deck, store, rail, wake, anchor, pitch, link, stern, sink, navigate.
If you’d like to learn more or see poems written by others, click on this link:  http://sundaywhirl.wordpress.com/2012/08/05/wordle-68/

Photo is mine.

14 comments:

Daydreamertoo said...

Awww... the ending surprised me. Wasn't expecting that.
Lovely poem and the wordle word were lost in it too so, it shows if flowed really well.

Carol Steel said...

Hi Daydreamertoo,
Thanks for your comment. I'm happy to know you think it flowed well.

Tumblewords: said...

This piece flows so well. Great!

Carol Steel said...

Thank you, Tumblewords. I appreciate your feedback.

Cheryl said...

Your poem is delightful. Thanks for visiting my blog. This is my first visit to yours. I'm gonna have a look around.

When Words Escape said...

ah, love "the marrow of memory"...

Thanks for dropping by my wordle, as well. :)

~Paula

Carol Steel said...

Thank you Cheryl. Hope you enjoy the visit to my blog.

Carol Steel said...

Hello Paula,
Thank you for the comment on the marrow of memory image. I liked it too.

Maude Lynn said...

What a beautiful wordle poem!

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Mama Zen. I always appreciate your comments.

Crafty Green Poet said...

Ah the ending surprised me too.

I've never been much of a port drinker. My mother recommended to me when I was a teenager that port made an ideal drink for a first date. I've never followed that advice!

Carol Steel said...

Wow, I can't image a Mom recommending port as a first date drink. Good for you for going your own way. This was really about dealing with death and memories and the pain of loss.

teri said...

I did not wordle for 2 weeks...so I am just catching up on my reading. This writing does take on that tipsy feeling...perfect.

I am still hoping your gargoyle reappears...maybe you could tell the deer (in your most recent post ) to keep an eye out.

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Teri. It was fun to write this and yet sad to remember times of toasting the loss of someone we loved who had died.