Powered By Blogger

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Perspective

 
 
 
Perspective
I had an appointment for today at 2pm to consult with the oncologist…finally.  It should have happened two weeks ago but they “lost my paperwork.”  Today at 1:30 pm I received a phone call postponing the appointment until tomorrow morning.  “Sorry for the last minute cancellation,” she said.
I asked about whether they were doing the markings and set up tomorrow too.   “Oh no,” she said, “that will be sometime next week, if we can find a slot for you.”
 “Oh and then I’ll begin the radiation?”
“Well no, then we’ll have to see when we can fit you in to begin sometime in the next month.” 
I wondered why, and felt a little sorry for myself; sorry that obtaining treatment would take so long and be so vaguely planned.
Then I remembered.
I have a home, un-burnt and un-flooded.  I have electricity and heat.   I can do laundry and can drive where I want to go.  I don’t have two hundred year old Black Oaks falling on my roof while I wait over a month for a tree company with a crane to come and cut them down.   I have fresh food.  I don’t have to worry about the temperature dropping outside and my pipes freezing.   I have Medicare which will pay for all or most of my treatments, whenever they happen.
I’m a lucky woman.
It helps to keep the problems in perspective. 
Photo and words are copyright © Carol Steel


8 comments:

Rinske Salmon said...

Good for you, Carol, for turning the negative to positive!
"A merry heart doeth good like a medicine"[Prov.]

jerilanders said...

Carol, You have a wonderful perspective. I agree, one's happiness, or lack there-of is so dependent on how we look at things. If I get down in the dumps over something, I remind myself that I have my health, my home, my husband, my farm... and on and on and on. You are going through some tough times, I am so sorry, but I think your attitude is great.

Carol Steel said...

Hi Rinske Salmon,

The only choice I have is to turn the negatives into positives, otherwise I'm just wasting my time and energy being upset. Thanks for your comment.

Carol Steel said...

Hi Jeri,

I agree with your comments. I can easily get down in the dumps but it hurts only me then. So I do the best I can to let go of those feelings and to focus on what is going well in my life, and there is lots of good too. Thanks for your note.

Crafty Green Poet said...

I think it's great to see things in perspective and to realise your own good luck!

At the same time, you would hope for a more efficient and better organised medical service!

Carol Steel said...

Yes, I do live in hope that my medical service will become better organized and that I don't get lost in the shuffle of paperwork. Thanks for the comment CGP.

Jane Tims said...

Hi. I think you are taking the right approach... the less stress, the better. I never seem to have much luck hurrying the system... Jane

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Jane. I do realize that in my current situation, stress is especially bad for me. Hurrying the medical system seems an impossibility; trying to hurry it can lead to much frustration and therefore...stress.