Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, March 12, 2013

March


 
 
 
March
 
Each day is the same.
The black trees awake wearing sweaters of snow.
And all day the snow comes,
steady and slow.
 
Spring stirs.

Beneath her blankets, she stretches;
her yawns full of warmth.
She is waking.  Her belly gurgles and groans
with the longing

after long sleep.
 

Each afternoon, the roads emerge
slick and stark beside the snow;

their banks pitted with dirt.
And the black branches shine,
strung with jewels of melt.
 
 
 
 
 
Twilight invites the shadows in
and the lights disappear into a sky of snow.
The world is muffled,
silent and still except for the snow sifting,
steady and slow.
And each morning,
the trees dress again
in their sleeves of angora.
 
Spring grows restless,
as melt-water throbs
through her veins.  Her hunger rises
and she aches to swallow
the snow.
 
But
winter whispers,
“Not yet, not yet….”
 
This is a draft of a poem on which I’m working.  It seems that March days are all the same yet there are subtle changes, bringing the hope of spring.  Words and photos are copyright ©Carol Steel.





11 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

this is lovely, I really like the image of the trees dressing in snow...

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Juliet. The trees dress in snow on most mornings in winter. It is lovely but I grow tired of the snow by this time of the year.

A Heron's View said...

Carol, That's really great, are you sure it needs extra work ?

Fireblossom said...

Oh I really like this. "Sweaters of snow"...that's such a great image.

I saw at MZ's blog that you asked about hard copies of our book. At my blog you can find the link on my new post. :-)

Maude Lynn said...

I love the way this feels . . . heavy and half-awake. Does that make sense?

adhi das said...

beautiful lines...GOD<3U

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Mel. There are a couple places where I'd like to make changes to the lines.

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Fireblosson. I'll search out your book. Congratulations on publication.

Carol Steel said...

Thanks Mama Zen. Yes, heavy and half-awake is the way I meant it to feel...a not quite there sensation.

Carol Steel said...

Thank you Adhi Das for your comment and welcome to my blog.

Rambling Woods said...

March is a challenge for me..I wait for spring and try to enjoy what there it to in the yard...Michelle