Powered By Blogger

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Writing by the Bay



I’ve searched for a reasonably priced cottage or retreat opportunity for some months.  I’ve been yearning to get away from here and all responsibilities to somewhere quiet and isolated, beautiful and nourishing, in order to concentrate on my writing.  

I’m wishing for a chunk of time, a week away to clear my head and replenish my energy.  Last weekend, I happened upon just such a place, a cottage on a bluff overlooking the Bay of Fundy, isolated...but close enough to Alma
so that supplies and other people could be found, if needed.


When I returned home from the drive, I called and talked to the man who owns the venue, as his wife who usually does bookings was busy.  I inquired about rates and availability and amenities, all the usual questions one needs answered when renting a place.  He answered everything and I arranged to call the owners back after discussing this news with my husband, who also had to determine whether he could get time off from work to accompany me.

I gave the owner my name and explained that I am a writer, looking for a quiet place to concentrate on the work, in the peace and quiet of a gorgeous setting on the Bay of Fundy.  I promised to call back.  There was a very long pause from him; again I assured him I would call back after supper.

When I reached the couple later on, to tell them that sadly this time it wasn’t going to work out for us to rent their cottage by the Bay, the woman told me that her husband hadn’t heard my name correctly.  He had excitedly told her that “Carol Shields, the writer wants to rent the cottage.”  She had assured him that this was could NOT be the case, but it had been the source of some discussion and wonderment during their supper meal.

We both laughed!


I suppose, in future, that I had better enunciate more clearly when giving my last name.  It did give me a chuckle and for a moment, a pleasant sense of what being well published and famous might gain, in terms of reactions from people.

However, I am happy to be just me, and not at all wishing to be anyone else.  I am a writer and that is enough.  A writer who still dreams of an affordable get-away for a week of solid writing!

Photos are mine.  As usual, words in red will take you to another website with additional information, if you click on them.

2 comments:

Crafty Green Poet said...

what a lovely place that would be to spend a quiet time writing...

Carol Steel said...

It is indeed and I hope to do just that one day!