Powered By Blogger

Monday, July 18, 2011

Party at the River



Party at the River

There was a family party yesterday in Shediac, where my sister has a home by the river.  It was her husband’s birthday and a lovely, warm summer afternoon for a get-together.

In addition to the adults in the family, W & B invited some of B’s friends; friends he has maintained relationships with since high school, over 40 years ago.

It was good to see everyone.  Those who knew each other or could find common conversational ground were able to enjoy each other’s company.

In situations like this, I have to be careful of my shyness and introversion.  They can end up making me misunderstood.  I can appear to be aloof or even rude, I am told.

This is not my intention and I make every effort to get over “this flaw” of mine.  However, yesterday I didn’t do so well with this, I know.

I am extremely tired lately and like the dormouse in the Alice in Wonderland story of the tea party, I withdrew into myself, feeling overwhelmed.  Not an excuse, but a fact.  I spent time in the “tea pot” yesterday, feeling exhausted from the company of so many extroverts, exacerbating my already present weariness.

Perhaps, I would have been better off declaring my fatigue and staying home.  I don’t know.

It is always a struggle for balance in these situations.  Yesterday, I wasn’t at my best!  There will be other days…

No comments: