Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 4, 2011

Treasures from the Past


After many busy days, a quiet stay-at-home day; what luxury!

My mother is in the process of moving and has gifted me with numerous old books and bits of paper from my grandmother’s kitchen…memorabilia from my childhood and beyond.

Today I went through one small packet of Grammy’s papers. Intriguing information, all of it!  There was everything from food splotched, yellow pages of well-loved recipes to aged newspaper clippings.

I found:

Grammy’s Doughnut Recipe
A list of my younger sister’s allergies
Instructions for knitting a tea cosy
Gaskin’s Chocolate Cake Recipe
The ABC’S of how atomic and hydrogen bombs work
How to get rid of Plantar’s Warts
A recipe for Cinnamon Rolls
Directions to my cousin’s home in Nova Scotia
Homemade Mincemeat Recipe
How to control a “husband’s irritating eyebrow dandruff”
A French Omelette Guide
An article on the chemical composition of the human body

A Human Being
Is Made up of the Following

Water enough to fill a small keg,
Fat enough for seven bars of soap,
Iron enough for a medium sized nail,
Sugar enough to fill a shaker,
Lime enough to whitewash a chicken coop,
Phosphorus enough to make 2,000 match tips,
Magnesium enough for a dose of magnesia,
Potassium enough to explode a toy cannon,
Sulphur enough to rid a dog of fleas.

Even at today’s prices the whole combination
would sell for about 98 cents.

I wonder where this gem came from as there is no indication on the disintegrating bit of paper about the source, author or date.

How old do you think it might be?

No comments: